What are some of the benefits of wool over synthetics?
There are a LOT. Some of the main benefits for wool as clothing:
- warm - even thin wool provides a lot of insulation against the cold
- thermoregulating - keeps you warm when its cold and cool when its hot
- hypoallergenic - does not cause rashes
- antimicrobial - naturally resists bacteria so it doesn't smell after use like synthetics
- natural SPF 50 - protects again the sun up to SPF 50
Wool also has big benefits for the planet over synthetics:
- eco-friendly - when produced responsibly, wool is one of the most eco-friendly fibers available
- reusable - wool is an easy fiber to recycle and reuse
- biodegradable - at the end of its life, it can easily biodegrade and go back into the earth
Isn't wool itchy?
No! Merino wool is NOT itchy. The merino wool jersey we use in our clothing is silky soft and smooth.
What makes merino wool so special?
"Merino" is wool fiber from the Merino bred of sheep. The wool from these sheep have a longer smoother fiber that has the warmth of wool without the itchy scratchy feeling.
Where are your products made?
All of our products are designed in Haines, Alaska. After the design stage, we make some products in our Haines studio and outsource a portion to a small batch manufacturer based in Portland, Oregon, USA - JLD Studios. We are proud to be partnering with Jenn at JLD. Click here to learn more about JLD Studios.
Where do you get your wool?
We are committed to using only sustainable fabrics in our products. Our merino wool comes from two sources: (1) fabric manufacturers with the highest eco and human welfare standards and (2)"deadstock".
(1) The fabric suppliers we work with source their wool from New Zealand, the best in the world. They work hard to minimize the impact of fabric production, from caring for the sheep through the manufacturing process. Our manufacturers are RWS, ZQ and OEKO-TEK 100 certified. Click here to learn more.
(2) Our other fabric source is deadstock. "Deadstock" is waste fabric; fabric that was bought by another company and not used for some reason, often it is overstock. We have less information on the exact origin of these fabrics but we know they are 100% merino wool from New Zealand or Australia. By using deadstock fabric, we are reducing new fabric production and keeping fabric waste out of landfills.
Why do your clothes cost more than some other brands?
We could say well, "they are made in the USA, in small batches to reduce waste, with the highest quality merino wool available" and these things are all true. All these factors drive up the cost of manufacturing. BUT the real answer is, when you consider the VALUE you get with Wildhaven, our clothes are more likely to save you money in the end.
When you compare the cost per wear of a Wildhaven Wools outfit to, say, one you can buy at Ta**et... Wildhaven actually costs LESS because it lasts so much longer. And once it's been handed on to a sibling, friend or relative? INFINITELY less! That's a win for the planet and a win for your wallet.
Sizing and Care
How does "grow-with-me" sizing work?
Grow-with-me sizing means our designs have a little extra room in all the right places. Here are some features:
- Extra long cuffs, made from a lighter weight fabric roll up without extra bulk.
- Soft wide waistbands fold over and then expand again as kids grow.
- Raglan sleeve design means no shoulder seams for more flexibility in fit through the shoulders and chest.
We have tested this sizing for years and found that it really works!
A little extra info: "Grow-with-me" design has been around awhile in the home sewing world, but has yet to become main stream in children's clothing manufacturing.
How long do they fit?
Although it depends a lot on the kid and all kids are different, we have found the following to be true:
- 6-18 m: fits ~1-1.5 yrs
- 2-4T: fits ~2-3 yrs
- 4-6Y: fits ~2-3 yrs
- 6-9Y: fits ~3-4 yrs
- 9-12Y: fits ~3-4 yrs
How do I care for them?
Our wools are machine washable and can be dried in the dryer!
- Machine Wash Cold
- Tumble Dry Low
- Use gentle biodegradable laundry soap and stain remover as needed
PS - Hand wash and hang dry if you can! It is the best choice for the wool and the planet. But, if you can't this time, we get it.
What will shipping cost?
We offer free shipping by USPS First Class Mail on orders over $150 within the US.
Standard shipping and processing rates are $6.99 in the US.
First Class and Priority Mail options are also available for shipping and prices are determined by USPS.
If you live in Haines, AK and would like your order right away, just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and you can pickup at our store.
How long does shipping take?
We ship 1-2 business days after your order is placed, so expect your order within 7-10 business days in the US and 2-3 weeks internationally for standard flat rate and free shipping.
Do you ship outside the US?
We can ship internationally. If you need additional assistance, please email us at email@example.com and we will make sure to get it all sorted out for you!
What is the return policy?
We offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
We take a lot of pride in our products. They are made by hand with care and tested in all types of conditions, on all sizes of kids. We want our customers to absolutely love their wools and feel confident in their purchase. If you don't love them, for any reason, reach out to us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will arrange for a replacement or refund.
What happens if they get a hole?
We offer free repairs on all our work. If any of your seams go out or you find errors in our sewing, we will fix them for free. No time to wait? No worries. We offer free iron-on patches to repair small tears so they don't turn into bigger holes.
What do I do with them when they are worn out?
Have your woolies reaches the end of their life? It happens. Nothing lasts forever and shouldn't! Instead of throwing your wools into the garbage, send them back to us so we can compost them. We will even give you a discount for your next set.
Transactions are handled with bank-grade security.
Our secure checkout is quick and easy to use.
Get in touch
Have questions? Get in touch with us at any time.